Disability Living Allowance or DLA is a pension and benefits that are given to people who are disabled and unable to work and provide or care for themselves. The DLA is a benefit service of the United Kingdom government that is soon to be replaced by the PIP (Personal Independence Payment) allowance for disabled people. If you already have Disability Living Allowance, your claim may end as Personal Independence Payment is put into place, but it is easy to put in a new application for PIP and get your benefits. The Disability Living Allowance helpline telephone can help answer any questions you may have about the process.

Even with PIP coming into effect, some will not be affected by the change. For those born on or before April of 1948 that already receive DLA, they will continue to get the allowance for as long as they are eligible. However, if you are receiving DLA benefits, and were born after April 8, 1948, the benefits you get from here will cease. You will receive a letter informing you of when your benefits from DLA will end so that you can put in an application for PIP. If you do get the letter informing you that you will no longer receive DLA, you will receive a follow-up letter within 28 days from PIP inviting you to apply. If you apply for PIP you will continue to get your DLA payments for a month after a decision, yes or no, is made about your application. As soon as that month is up, PIP will begin to send your payments immediately.

If you currently have DLA, and some of your circumstances change, you may need to contact the DLA center to see if it affects how much money you get from their payments. Some changes that may affect how much you get is how much help you need r if your condition changes if you are hospitalized for more than 4 weeks, if you go to another country for more than 13 weeks, or if you are imprisoned.
You also need to let the DLA center know if you change your name, address, or bank, want to end your benefits or go to a different doctor.

How much you get in benefits from the DLA depends on how severe your disabilities or health is. It is made up of 2 parts: the care component and the mobility component. You may be eligible for the care component is you need help with tasks like bathing, getting dressed, eating, using the toilet, need supervision so you don’t harm yourself or others, or cannot prepare a meal for yourself. TO get the mobility component you must be unable to walk at all, only be able to walk a very short distance, become very sick if you try to walk, have no feet or legs, are blind and/or deaf, are mentally impaired, need supervision indoors and outdoors.

If you qualify for benefits, you will be paid your allowance into your account every four weeks. If you still need extra assistance you can call the Disability Service Center to find out how to get extra benefits.